Thursday, July 23, 2009

What Does A 320 Pound Offensive Lineman Eat....

While having dinner with a friend yesterday, a fan came up to me to tell me about her excitement for the program and wished me the best of luck in preparation for the season. But something that caught me off guard in our conversation was when she started ( I don't want to say Mocking me, but) questioning me for eating a chicken salad. Her belief was that offensive lineman were on a "See-food Diet"... Anything you see, you eat. Incorrect Bears! It all depends on the individuals goals and where they want their weight to be at. Our lighter group of guys are obviously going to be worried about caloric intake more than an OLineman like myself, where gaining weight is a breeze.

I think the most important part about our weight management, and one of the hardest to do I might add, is to keep our weight at our desired number while becoming as lean as possible. That stereotypical Fat slob offensive lineman is out the door and the Lean, Mean, Fighting machine is comin' on in. It requires a lot of discipline. There are many nights I walk down Telegraph and Durant avenue in search for a healthy meal, but a couple double bacon cheeseburgers from I.B. Hoogies, a box of pizza from Blondies, or that 2.64 pound burrito the boys over at Sam's Market make is more enticing than that chicken salad. Hey! Winning requires risks and sacrifices all the time. Even if those sacrifices are at your taste bud's expense.

8 comments:

  1. Great job on the blog, Mike! Love the blog and I am looking forward to your posts during the season. Trust me when I tell you this, but your battle with what you eat, and trying to keep the weight off will be with you always! I'm also a former Cal o-liner, who's nearly 40 years old, and I wouldn't say it's a struggle to keep the weight off, but I do need to work at it. Lots of salads instead of cheeseburgers for sure, but it's worth it. Good luck this season, and beat Maryland!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now cmon...you have to mention sneaking in something from Fat Slice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! No mention of grabbing a slice and a beverage at The Lair either, huh? Oh well. Have a great season Mike, and stay healthy - don't forget to drink your green gatorade. And for God's sake, please DESTROY Maryland. Any chance we see big #79 come out for one defensive series just to lay a revenge hit out for JB?

    Either way, I'll have a burger for ya...

    Go Bears

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Mike. I'd also be interested in hearing anything about the summer workout routines. Are they required or just you better be there or guys will give you a hard time. Who organizes them? Is it just goof around stuff, or is it serious. I've never read anything that explains this and I'd be interested. Go Bears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Brian, Amy, Elliot and Owen. More to come Fam of four. Hold your horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, first time reading your blog. I have a feeling I'm going to become a regular. You can thank JO at CC Times for the link.

    Sounds like you're going to be one of those guys who, when your football career is over - may it not be for years and years - is going to drop 50-75 pounds from your playing weight. Kudos.

    But, Dude, 2 or 3 polish and 1 Kielbasa chaser at Top Dawg is my idea of heaven. Me and my boyz, Class of 88, have tix to $c. Looking forward to watching you and your fellow Bears kicking some trojan ass then, Top Dog. But being forty something it's gonna be 1 polish and a diet coke. GO BEARS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What does a 320 lb o-line eat? Well, PANCAKES of course! 1 play at a time!

    ReplyDelete